One of the very first things that you need to know about gambling addiction is that it is not only a financial problem but a gigantic mental health issue as well. Problem gamblers do not recognise that it is two issues. Even though it has a very high financial turmoil, it has an even higher mental toll as well. A lot of people have actually needed months to recover from gambling addiction. Gambling addiction is also something related to the mind, like I mentioned above. Gambling is obviously something that takes a higher mental toll, and it is an emotional issue where a person feels an intense need to gamble, just so they can alleviate any stress they feel. They say that it gives them a type of euphoria.
Gambling addiction is basically an obsession that does a fantastic job at taking over your life, and it can go quite far. It can also lead to a certain loss of relationships, finances and jobs. It does take a heavy toll.
Now, I will list out some very well-known facts about gambling addiction.
1. The very first one is that gambling addiction happens to be a mental health disorder that affects both men and women.
2. Gambling happens to be a multibillion-dollar industry, and in the United States of America alone, the gambling industry makes more than $40 billion per year. Las Vegas is very popular for bringing in at least $15 billion in the entire amount. Every single gambling addict fuels this particular number.
3. Now that the COVID-19 pandemic has actually shut down a lot of casinos, gambling addicts are turning to online casinos to quench their gambling thirst. Online casinos have actually become very successful since the year 2020.
4. Research actually shows almost 75% of the gamblers who consume alcohol while gambling has been known to develop an addiction that actually takes over their entire lives.
5. It is estimated that almost 80% of the entire American population has gambled a couple of times in their lives. Gambling is very easily accessible, especially in the USA.
6. It is incredibly common for people to claim certain things like lotteries and casinos for their compulsive behaviours. Gambling problems or problems that start with gambling habits, but they continue because the people are not able to resist their urge. There are so many individuals who keep gambling, and they don’t develop an addiction, because they know when to stop.
7. Knowing when to stop is definitely one of the key ways to not get addicted to gambling.
These were some very well-known facts about gambling addiction. You should definitely be vigilant, especially when you are in and around casinos.