FICS Searches for New Part-Time Secretary-General
Applications being received until September 30, 2017. Position commences: January 2018
Position Specifications and Applications
The Fédération Internationale de Chiropratique du Sport (FICS) is now inviting applications for the position of Secretary-General (SG) to commence work in January 2018. The FICS office is in Toronto, Canada, but this is a part-time position that may be undertaken by a suitably qualified person wherever (s)he may live. The SG will be a volunteer, although with an honorarium and expenses paid.
Reporting to the Executive Council (ExCo), the SG serves as FICS’ strategic and operational leader, and is responsible for the overall health and management of the organization. The SG is assisted by FICS staff, members of the ExCo and the ten FICS Commissions, and other volunteers.
FICS was founded in 1987 by national chiropractic sports councils (NCSCs), to promote the specialty of sports chiropractic and to represent them and their members in international sport.
FICS is governed by statutes under the Swiss Civil Code. These statutes, which may be found in full at this FICS website (www.fics-sport.org) , provide for an Executive Council elected according to seven world regions – Africa, Asia, Eastern Mediterranean, Europe, Latin America, North America and the Pacific.
During the past 10 years major FICS activities have included building relationships with international sports federations, athletes, other health care professionals and their representative organizations; developing and presenting postgraduate educational programs for sports chiropractors; and coordinating teams of properly credentialed sports chiropractors to provide services to athletes at major sporting events up to and including the Olympic Games.
FICS is a volunteer-driven organization. It has a fulltime Executive Secretary/Manager of Administration in Toronto, assisted by part-time staff and volunteers. It has a General Counsel, who has been Acting SG since April 2016. Before that the SG was a sports chiropractor and leader from the USA.
The FICS office is in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. The SG may be located anywhere.
Reporting to the ExCo, the SG serves as FICS’ strategic and operational leader. The SG works closely and communicates regularly with the President, Executive Officers, ExCo, commission chairs, membership and staff to achieve the objectives of FICS. The SG is responsible for FICS’ overall health and management. This includes membership, finance, human resources, meeting planning, external relations, and communications. Specific areas of responsibility include:
- Strategic Planning. Participates in the development of FICS’ strategic plan and objectives together with the ExCo, and leads and reports on implementation of the chosen strategies.
- Financial Planning. Responsible for the fiscal health of FICS, assisted by the Finance Commission. Active oversight of monthly reporting with reference to budget conformance and strategic priorities. Attention to cash flow, investment, audit reviews, banking relations and operating budget.
- Meeting Planning. Responsible for planning and oversight of FICS’ biennial Assembly and Symposium, and other meetings.
- Income Generation. Drives all sources of FICS’s income (membership, education program, sponsorships, other non-dues income), and strives to increase membership and revenues.
- External Relations. Collaborates on behalf of FICS with other chiropractic organizations and entities, and with external organizations and entities.
- Surveys and Marketing. Oversees development of surveys and concepts for campaigns to promote FICS services. Continually strengthens the image of FICS with the chiropractic profession and external parties.
- Member Satisfaction. Ensures that FICS satisfies the needs of its current members and partners. Educates and assists members on issues most relevant to them including education, games events, interprofessional relations, research, marketing, etc.
- Human Resources. Oversees efforts to improve organizational design and effectiveness, and ensures that staffing, succession planning, compensation and performance management are well designed and administered.
- Bachelor’s degree and /or chiropractic degree.
- Strong knowledge of the chiropractic profession and the sports chiropractic specialty, and contemporary issues in sports medicine; successful record in national or international organization for health professionals preferred.
- Proven experience in an administrative leadership role, including management of strategies, priorities, people, processes, performance and budgets.
- Visionary, with the ability to motivate, mentor, inspire and lead.
- Demonstrated superior skills in oral and written communications, diplomacy, relationship building and conflict resolution.
- Fluency in English; fluency in French or Spanish or another second language preferred.
- Willingness to travel.
E. Term and Compensation
This is a voluntary, part-time position with a commitment to serve for a minimum of 3 years. There will be a significant annual honorarium, and reimbursement of approved expenses incurred.
F. Procedure for Candidates
Proposed timeline is:
August 1, 2017 – position notified
September 30, 2017- deadline for applications
October and November 2017 – Search Committee interviews, contract signed
January 2018 – new SG assumes position
For an application form or further information please contact:
Fédération Internationale de Chiropratique du Sport
FICS Search Committee – Chair: Dr Stephen Perle